Shapes of Bean Bag Chairs
Each bean bag will have a different shape with pros and cons. By understanding the shape, you will know which one is right for you and will offer a superior state of mind.
- Round bean bag chairs: it is shaped like a ball and are the perfect choice for relaxation or a casual living room where you like to play video games and watch movies. Remain a popular/traditional choice, but there are modern shapes that suit a range of interior designs.
- Square bean bag chairs: in a shape of a cube and used more like an ottoman for footrests. The chair can be used as temporary seating, a table, or something to lean against. Due to their defined shape and lines, they serve the dual purpose of being a decorative piece and an additional place for seating.
- Teardrop and pear-shaped bean bag chairs: have a round base and a narrower top. They are more comfortable as they provide back support due to their height and broadness. It’s perfect to rest your back and stretch your legs out in the front.
- Game chair bean bags: usually wide and round at the base and tapers towards a point near the top. The chair provides a more traditional seating experience and sometimes has a contoured back. It also provides a more supportive seat for guests.
- Novelty bean bag chairs: usually fall under the category of kids’ bean bags and take the shape of anything such as suns, animals, flowers, footballs, cartoon/TV/movie characters, as well as those with covers sporting very bright colors or bold patterns. Perfect choice for your child’s room.
- Elongated bean bag chairs: are large and extra-large in size. Ideally, for 2 or 3 people. Perfect choice for large or home theater rooms.
- Outdoor bean bag chairs: commonly found on porches, beachfront restaurants, bars, or coffee shops. You can buy an outdoor beanbag and place it in any corner of your garden or porch… or next to the pool. Some types are even designed to float over the water like a swimming pool. Certain companies produce kids’ beanbags for your children to play with their friends outside
Sizes of Bean Bag Chairs
Children’s bean bag chairs are built to encourage sitting and reading or to keep them comfortable while watching TV. On the other hand, giant bean bag chairs are ideal for teenagers, adults. They are made from more robust materials to support the extra weight. Extra large giant bean bag chairs accommodate two or more adults. They can be used for parties, watching TV with the family, or listening to amazing music.
Here are the main types of bean bags according to sizes:
- Small to Medium Bean Bags: great for kids and youths. These beanbags are usually made for little kids up to 4’6″ tall (140 cm) tall children. The circumference of bean bags is approximately 100 to 120 inches (255 to 305 cm).
- Large Bean Bags: manufactured mostly for teenagers who are up to 5’2″ (160 cm). The circumference is around 130 to 140 inches (330 to 355 cm).
- Extra Large Bean Bags: circumference is approximately 140 to 150 inches (355 to 380 cm), and adults prefer them. Perfect to host 2 or 3 people, this type of bean bag has an elongated shape and is ideal for lazing around with your loved ones. Suitable for large rooms like the living room and home theater rooms, where there is a lot of space and people sit together.
- Double Extra Large Bean Bags: these types are enormous, require a LOT of space, are built for adults up to 6’5″ (195 cm) tall, or it can accommodate 4+ people. Come with a circumference of 170 to 180 inches (430 to 460 cm), or even more for custom-made products.
The main idea behind a bean bag chair is always comfort. It is the ideal piece of furniture to sink into and relax. So it shouldn’t be too small or too big. Bean bags are usually one-size, but some can be larger, so you might find yourself lost. Others are designed with smaller frames, like for kids, so you may see yourself drop out of the bag. Plus, if you want a companion on your side, your bean bag needs to accommodate the extra body comfortably.
Fabrics for Beanbag Chairs
Bean bag’s shape and size are important factors, but the fabric used brings a superior esthetic and helps keep your bean bag clean and stain-free. Typical materials include leather, cotton, faux suede, corduroy, faux fur, nylon, satin, vinyl, or plastic. Faux fur, suede, and corduroy bean bags should be kept from staining materials. That’s because it is tough to clean stains off such bean bags, and the mark does remain.
Real Leather bean bags are the peak of luxury and comfort. They have manufactured from high-quality leather hides that are both durable and flame retardant. Leather bean bags are one of the least buying options because the care process is pretentious and wears more accelerated. Plus, they are costly compared to other models.
Faux Leather bean bags are artificial leather made from PVC or Vinyl fabric, which gives the excellent effect of leather without the price tag of real leather beanbags. Faux leather is soft and supple, sometimes with a leather grain embossed into the fabric. They are easy to wipe down, making them ideal for homes where kids accidentally spill drinks or foods on them. It is flexible and waterproof, but it is not very comfortable.
Faux Suede bean bags are another options. Faux suede looks and feels like real suede but has the advantage of easier care and maintenance and is stain-repellent. Faux suede is usually created with a water-repellent quality so it can be safely and efficiently cleaned.
Suede Leather bean bag covers are less durable than standard leather, but their thinness and flexibility make them suitable for delicate uses. Due to its texture and open pores, suede may become dirty and absorb liquids quickly. The suede should be cleaned with a dry sponge or brush to remove dust and dirt. You can use a silicon spray to protect against water stains and damage. The suede must be clean as per the manufacturer’s directions.
Faux Fur bean bags are made of high-quality, fire-retardant faux fur. Fashionable and luxurious, these bean bags add softening and luxurious texture to your home decor. Either curl up on a long pile of plain faux fur beanbags or relax on one made from a short pile of animal print faux fur – the choice is yours! Faux fur is becoming more popular than real one as people respect animals and prefer this fabric and material.
Cotton bean bags is made from 100% cotton, a practical and colorful material. Cotton is soft and warm, a great option when you want to relax at home. It is also extremely robust, making it an ideal choice for bean bags in high-use areas.
Corduroy is a choice that never goes out of style. Modern corduroy is most commonly composed of tufted cords, sometimes exhibiting a channel between the tufts. It comes in a variety of weights and colors. The width of the cord is commonly referred to as the size of the “wale” or the number of cords per inch. Corduroy bean bags are super soft, super comfy and robust.
Chenille has many qualities when used as a cover fabric and is made from a variety of materials, including cotton, polyester, rayon wool, and silk. It’s constructed from yarn that has a raised tufted pile. The tufted threads at different angles resemble fuzzy hairs, hence its name – the French word for caterpillar. It creates very soft textures and also scatters light in different directions. It is durable and often recommended for heavily used pieces of furniture.
Microfiber is made from fine synthetic fibers, producing a piece of fabric that’s very soft to the touch. Microfiber often mimics suede, linen, silk, or velvet fabrics. The fibers are a barrier against dust and pet dander, which can’t penetrate. Microfiber covers are stain-resistant, and liquid tends to flow instead of soaking in, allowing you time to blot it away before a stain sets in. Microfiber attracts lint from other fabrics, such as cotton. These fibers are tough to remove from microfiber covers and will decrease the effectiveness of the material.
Outdoor bean bags are made from soft, shower-proof, and UV-resistant materials, making them sun and water-resistant and easy to clean. They come in a variety of colors. Outdoor beanbag fabric has a firmer structure, making it ideal for bean bags that need to retain their shape. Although ideally suited for use outside, these bean bags are very comfortable and look great in any living room or bedroom.
Removable Covers for Bean Bag Chairs
Nowadays beanbags come with an inner liner that holds the beans. Since the filling is held within the liner of the cover itself, a cover can be easily taken off and – in some cases – machine washed in case of accidents. The non-removable bean chairs cannot remove the cover; these bean bag chairs can be refilled.
Removing the cover from a bean bag to either wash or interchange with a new cover takes a few seconds. First, locate the outer cover zip tags. Once zip tags have been located, unzip your cover by pulling the zip tag from one side of the bag to the other. After that, proceed to remove the cover. If you wish, you can wash it or purchase a cover. Sit down, relax and enjoy the amazing comfort of your beanbag chair.